Hi guys, hope you are doing well, staying healthy and following instructions. These are hard times for everyone and I pray that times will be better soon and that this pandemic is over and done with so we can all move back into our normal lives.
I've received quite a few requests from friends and athletes I have previously worked with on how to make the best out of this time when we are all at home and don't have access to our usual training resources. I've also come across some funky-looking "home-based" exercise programs, which probably wouldn't be my thing ...
So I've created a list of exercises (see table below), and video tutorials (thanks Ed), for you to make your own sessions and to minimize the interruption to your training and / or exercise routines to the best of your ability.
How it works...
- I generally think training 3 to 4 days a week should be enough anyways, given that the quality of training is there, so I suggest you pick one exercise from each of the five categories and make four 5-exercise circuits (which totals to training 4 days a week).
- You can play around with sets and reps as you wish but my general advice is to work to a number of repetitions where you have "2 reps in the tank" for every exercise, and to do the number of sets (or rounds of the circuit) that you can bear without getting bored
- An example of a circuit (which we tried after filming all the video tutorials) could be:
Total rounds: 5 rounds
Push ups x 10 reps
Split squats x 10 reps each leg
Inverted row x 10 reps
Hip bridge (single-leg) x 10 reps each leg
Plank (with book drag) x 5 each side
Leg lowers (partner resisted) x 10 reps
(30s rest, then go again)
- Finally, I know desperate times call for desperate measures, but there is no good reason on this planet to be doing burpees!!!
- Enjoy the video tutorials and don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org should you need further advice.
Table - List of exercises that you can do at home with no equipment (in colour are the five different categories)
*please not that in the videos, we show multiple variations of the exercise for you to pick what you feel most comfortable doing
EXERCISE 1 - SPLIT SQUAT (AND VARIANTS)
EXERCISE 2 - SQUAT (AND VARIANTS)
EXERCISE 3 - PLANK (AND VARIANTS)
EXERCISE 4 - REVERSE PLANK
EXERCISE 5 - SIDE PLANK
EXERCISE 6 - HIP BRIDGE (AND VARIANTS)
EXERCISE 7 - PUSH UP (AND VARIANTS)
EXERCISE 8 - TOWEL ROW
EXERCISE 9 - LEG LOWERS
EXERCISE 10 - LATERAL LUNGE
EXERCISE 11 - WALL-TOUCH HINGE
EXERCISE 12 - PRONE HOLD
EXERCISE 13 - SIDE HOLD
EXERCISE 14 - I, Y, T, W'S
EXERCISE 15 - DEAD BUGS
EXERCISE 16 - COPENHAGEN
EXERCISE 17 - HAMSTRING SLIDERS
EXERCISE 18 - TRICEP DIPS
EXERCISE 19 - INVERTED ROW
EXERCISE 20 - CURL AND PRESS
Find the author